Saturday 6 February 2010

A serious can of whoopass

As if I needed to tell you, the internet is an amazing and profound serendipity machine. A couple of days ago I was friended (funny, we used to say "befriended") on Facebook by a young Memphibian named Frank Bruno, who, as it turns out, is a collector with more than a passing interest in the records put out by Style Wooten, including "I Found My Love in Memphis" by George Clappes.

Today he has kindly shared with me, and allowed me to share with you, a couple of super images. First the exalted disk itself, a copy of which lurks somewhere in my parents' closet in Memphis.

I Found My Love in Memphis


Secondly, and more interestingly, he has stumbled across an ad from a country music magazine of the time, in which Style Wooten shows us what he had to offer, including "pressing of 1000 records on 'Well Known Country Label' with 'Credit Plan' available." I wonder if they offered a layaway plan? Maybe that's where the cache of records I discovered in 1990 came from. Pure Memphis history at its best. Thanks for sharing, Frank!

Style Wooten ad

No comments: